View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 06:30 PM   #152
t-head

Default Re: Model T Racing Thread

I have tried to cover Roof and Rajo heads as well as I can other than one Rajo model I am looking for some information on.

So I am going to show you the next head I have in mind as again I am trying to start with the early makers first. This head is the Craig Hunt SOHC 16-valve head. I have not had any experience with one nor have I seen one in person. Based on what I have observed it looks like it had the potential to work well if it was manufactured to a good standard.

The manufacturer stated that it was only meant for speed-cars or racing so don't let the single chain which looks small fool you into thinking it would break in no time. The chain is not much smaller than a motorcycle chain of the time which had to transmit 5-15 HP in the dirt and dust. They stated that it only took 1/2 HP to drive it, which could be handled by a small chain that was maintained and oiled regularly. I am not saying it would last forever but in racing it and the sprockets could be changed regularly and oiled well before each race, which usually were not all that long. If the engine has a pressurized oiling system a chain oiler could be devised although it would be a total loss. Back in this period engines and machinery leaked a lot so it would not have been a concern then.

Last edited by t-head; 06-12-2011 at 11:01 AM.
t-head is offline   Reply With Quote