View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
tubman

Default Re: flathead oil filter

If I had an engine that didn't have a filter, I would put that on in a heartbeat. I have long held that the bypass filter systems originally supplied with these cars are probably the best way to go, superior to a full flow system. A bypass system does filter all of the oil in the engine, it just takes a little longer. Because of the way they work, these systems can filter out smaller particles than a full flow system does. Given the meticulous maintenance most of our vehicles receive, more contaminants are removed from the oil during the working cycle. The fact that it may take several minutes for all of the oil in the engine to pass through the filter, rather than a few seconds that it takes with a full flow system pales in comparison to the better filtration taking place. Sure, a full flow system is probably better for daily drivers that are neglected and driven under all kinds of adverse conditions, by people who are not concerned with maintenance, but for the vast majority of our cars that are pampered by their owners, a bypass system is probably a better choice.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote