View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #22
Synchro909

Default Re: Front/rear brake bias

Thanks guys, I have stayed quiet so far just reading responses. There is some very interesting info there and I appreciate them. Here's what I am thinking after reading all of it and I'd like responses to it.
Back in 1927, I believe Henry wasn't going to put brakes on the front wheels of his new car but was forced into it if he wanted his cars on the road. There was a belief amongst many designers at the time that the front wheels were for steering, not braking. That is understandable when you consider that the majority of roads were unsealed and any enthusiastic use of the brakes resulted in the wheels locking. The driver has no steering if the front wheels are locked so that was to be avoided. I think Henry set the bias heavily towards the back to avoid drivers (often not very skilled) being put in that situation and for the same reason, advised that the rear brakes came on first. Things are different these days. We hardly ever drive on anything but a sealed road. I believe that over the years, the design of braking systems has changed (Ford included) because of that and that hanging on to what Henry did 90 years ago when driving was VERY different from today might not be the best for our health. I see no reason to not update Henry's design for the sake of safety. I know there will be some who will throw a tanty at that but.......
My current plan is to install the longer arms and adjust the brakes so the front come on slightly ahead of the rear. I expect there will be some fine tuning done when I take to the road to get it just right but I think I will have good brakes at the end of it.
What is the consensus on that?