View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 02:15 AM   #139
Old Henry

Default Re: Alaska attempt daily report

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Craig,

We know it's you who drives 'Old Henry'.....But what drives YOU???
I may seem "driven" for what I have a passion for, which is different for every person. I think everyone is "driven" for some passion. While mine is driving, for others it's building engines, etc. On one of the first days of this trip my wife informed me that the father of my son's wife, whose children she is babysitting while they went on a cruise, reached the top of Mount Everest with two artificial knees. What made him do it? It wasn't his first attempt. I had a law partner for years that did the same thing - climbing mountains, that is, but with his own original knees. For me, I seem to have this passion just to see what I can do. I have discovered that the only way to really find out what you can do is to find out what you can't do. In other words, shoot for the stars. If you only reach the moon, you know that was the best you can do. If you just shoot for the moon and make it, you're not sure whether that was really the best you could do. My law partner rarely reached the tops of the mountains he tried for. "The top of the mountain was just there to get me to find out what was the best I could do. I always found that out, unless, of course, I reached the top." Likewise, if I successfully complete this "quest", I will know that I can do this. But, I won't know if that was really my best. I'll have to take a longer, more difficult trip and fail to find that out. I've done that a lot with R/C airplanes - tried stuff just to see if I could do it then find out it was beyond my abilities. At least I then knew what my very best was. I seem to have to find that out for some reason.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-21-2016 at 01:36 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote