View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 01:20 AM   #136
Old Henry

Default Re: Alaska attempt daily report

Day 8

A lot of miles today, 518 from just east of Teslin, YT to Kitwanga, BC. Total 3,153 so far. 1,667 to home.

Just before Watson Lake we left the Alaska Highway to go south into British Columbia on the Cassiar Highway.

Now, whoever suggested this route home I've got to thank a million. That Cassiar Highway was thee funnest road I've ever driven.

Not particularly any more scenic, but it just bobbed and weaved like a drunken sailor, up and down and back and forth. The sections that were brand new asphalt as smooth as glass such that there was no feel whatever of the road surface were like flying a stunt plane or a race car on a grand prix course. Absolutely tons of fun. Some of the other sections of the road were more like riding a stagecoach they were so bumpy. I got a lot of good video to share driving this fun road when I get home.

One of the nice things about stopping to take pictures was to be able to hear the sounds of silence. None of the "background noise" that all cities and large towns have. Just total peaceful silence broken only by the chirp of birds or buzzing of flies or bees. And, I got u[ close with some of the beautiful wild flowers that lined the road all the way.

These little purple ones.

Blue ones.

And, of course, the ever popular dandelions.

I have to tell you about the best surface for dancing the "bias-ply boogie". It's the surface of these cantilever bridges.

It is a grate that throws the bias-plies around like nothing else. You just gotta drive them with the good boogie music on.

There were certainly more scenic vistas along the way.

I was sure glad to stumble on this great little camp ground late that night when I was too tired to drive any more.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-20-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote