View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 11:15 AM   #11
Joe K

Default Re: Replace early 28 AR starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
The reason I asked is one of the members here is coming to my place soon with his 1/2" starter which has been giving him trouble. I suspected the bendix all along and now wonder whether the problem might be a mis match between the ring gear and the bendix pinion. I intend putting a 5/8" starter together for him with a new bendix and 12v field windings. I'm hoping the ring gear has at some stage been changed to the later one, in which case, that could explain why he was having trouble and we should be OK. He has converted to 12 v which on its own might be asking a bit from a 1/2" starter if it is not altered. I trust the starter switch is interchangable.
This member lives quite a distance from me so I want to get it right first time.
Another problem might be the ring gear.

Like its later 5/8" cousins, the ring gear in the early cars has the same potential failing in use. The engine tends to stop at one of two locations each about 180 degrees opposite. Thus, majority wear in starting on the ring gear occurs at these two locations.

Old timers knew this and we're talking the pre-WWII world of consumer availability. Ford was "pretty good" on keeping parts in stock - better than most actually in that day and age. But who could afford a new ring gear?

The mechanics solution in that day was to mark the position of the ring gear, take the ring gear off with a punch (evenly lest you bend it), and then heat and replace it 90 degrees from its former position. Thus bringing "new" (relatively) teeth into contact with the pinion portion.

Maybe herein lies a solution option for both OP and later?

Joe K