Thread: LED Headlights
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #13
MikeK

Default Re: LED Headlights

Just a point of clarity- "D.O.T." approval refers to specific combinations of reflectors/lenses and bulbs, NOT exactly bulbs or LED's themselves. That's why there are so many modern bases that are not interchangeable. As soon as you take ANY bulb/LED that has a specific base and D.O.T. 'approval' then retro-fit it to a reflector/ lens combo that was not originally evaluated by D.O.T. you no longer have an assembly that produces an approved beam pattern, period. Good or bad then becomes an ugly mess of testimonials and pictures that show what someone wants you to see, not what actual D.O.T. specs would report.

On a historical note, D.O.T. did not exist in the Model A era, only a competing and conflicting hundred plus state and local motor vehicle lighting regulations. No 21/21cp, 21/32cp, or 32/50cp BA10 bulb was ever D.O.T. evaluated for performance in an A reflector behind a Twolite lens.

I'm all for as much driving beam as I can get but if the off-axis and out of pattern spill blinds other traffic to the point where they can no longer accurately discern my turn signals or (gasp) the edge or center of the road that puts me in extreme danger.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote