View Single Post
Old 09-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Default Re: Truck based woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post
GB,

If you notice, the area between the wheel wells is sheet metal. The piece consists of five parts; the two wells, two side sections, and a center section. All the pieces are spot welded at flanges, except the wells, that are spot welded on the main surface. The wood floors consist of a front frame made of maple and oak and two floor boards inside the frame, made of 11/16 thick 5 ply plywood. The rear sections on either side of the wheel wells/floor pan, are maple floor boards running perpendicular to the frame and fastened to the frame and pan.

Keep V-8ing and 4-banging!

We still need to keep in mind that with a truck based woody, the builder might not have had all those same parts, perhaps just the cowl. I have purchased (traded for) 4 jailbar trucks, one is a 1/2 ton panel that has spent some time on it's roof.... Perhaps just the ticket for those wheel wells an has decent rear fenders too! There's also some nice cabs, seats, a nice tonner with new tires and a title, a factory cowl piece for jailbar delivery trucks, a running 8ba, a complete 1/2 ton pu with a title, 2 extra panel doors, two extra truck doors, 2 very good rear 1/2 ton pu fenders etc etc.... I am on my way to cutting one of the cabs with bad back corners and floors to make a good cowl piece. I still have 3 more loads East of the cascades to finish it out...... What I'm wondering so I can start some preliminary mock-up and thought process over the 3 day weekend is does anyone have specs/drawings of a 1/2 ton jailbar panel? The one I'm getting is still ovr there til next week or two. Also interested in what the normal panels have above the windshield to accept the wood top framing. On that great video that was posted a while back, he was pounding wood into some kind of recess at the header. Anyone have a un-built woody can show a picture? Thanks much in advance. Took the ugliest stuff first so I wouldn't run outa steam and leave some over there. Next trip will be the tonner or the panel. Too bad no back doors on it.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4646.jpg (97.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4654.jpg (97.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4660.jpg (93.6 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4668.jpg (83.0 KB, 83 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote