View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
drkbp

Default Re: Flywheel question

To answer the original question...

Yes, it can be done IF your coil ring has the hole that Ford provided for that purpose.

I lost a keeper, or clamp, and drove a couple of blocks back to the house. I found my coil ring had the hole when I took the hogshead off to find the keeper. No other damage seemed to have happened. I had been changing bands and the hogshead had slipped and hit the mag so I thought that probably had caused the keeper to fail.

Sitting in the passenger seat, the hole will be between two coils on the ring just behind the carburetor at about "2 o'clockish" as I recall. Turn the mag to line the screw up with the hole then,

1. Remove the peened edge/end of the #14 brass screw on the flywheel back and take the screw out the engine side through that hole.
2. Chase the #14 thread in the flywheel.
3. Run the new brass screw through the keeper and into the flywheel.
4. Tighten screw and peen end on back of flywheel.

Check the rest of the brass screws to be sure they have both halves of their screw head. I found two more that were missing one-half of the head and replaced them as well.

I am not sure how long Ford provided that access hole but I have seen other coil rings with that provision.

Last edited by drkbp; 04-09-2019 at 09:53 PM.
drkbp is offline   Reply With Quote