View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 11:46 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: A very unhappy gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
BTW, if you rebuilt it with "newly made" caged roller bearings, that may have been the issue. I do not know of any that are available that are correctly made - the "cages" are not anywhere near the quality of material and heat treat as Henry's originals. Take a fine file and see if you can file the edge of the cages - if you can, don't use them. Then take an original and do the same thing - you'll see what I'm talking about as far as hardness.

I only use good originals or NOS ones (if I can find them . . . hard to locate these days).

Also, the reproduction cluster and reverse shafts are junk - poor materials, not correct heat treat and .001 to .0015 undersize. Folks buy them - thinking they're doing the right thing and yet they are very poorly made. Use original cluster/rear shafts . . . good used or if you're lucky enough - NOS ones (which I haven't seen in years).

I actually made my own shafts for my 39 box in my 32 Cab. I used high-quality linear shafting material.
I've had pretty much the same issue with those caged roller bearings I purchased some years ago. Lucky for me, I realized just how poorly they were made, and decided not to use them. I was also lucky enough to have a good collection of used original caged roller bearing, and used those.
Two of the best sources I've found for quality transmission parts are Mac Van Pelt and Michael Driskell, @ 3rd Gen Automotive.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote