View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
G.M.

Default Re: Engine problem or normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stford View Post
I’m in Need some flat head experience. You can look back at any engine pictures on my restoration thread if there’s additional questions. So everything is up and running, seems to be running well EXCEPT I’ve got some anti freeze coming out the overflow when I drive. Doesn’t look like a ton I can just see it on the frame. It’s not running hot, oil looks great but oil pressure does seem low, it has since start up, about 5 at idol and 12 when driving. Is all that normal for a stock 8BA?

Thanks.
Oil pressure could be from light weight oil. Use 20/50 Castrol. You didn't say what year your car is. Early fords have the over flow tube from the top of the radiator. The back restriction of flow through the radiator due to the size and length of the radiator tubes cause the coolant to back up in the top tank and is pushed out the over flow. Skip Haney has a 4 lb valve that go's on the bottom end of the over flow tube which cures this, This valve must be flushed several times a year. On later radiators there is a washer like seat
down at the bottom of the filler neck. A WORKING 4 lb pressure cap will keep the coolant from being pushed out. BUT the bottom rubber seal on
the bottom of the pressure cap must hit and seal down at the bottom of
the filler neck. This has to hit at the bottom before the under side of the
top of the cap hits the top of the filler neck. If it's working you will feel the spring action of the bottom seal before the underside of the top of the cap hits the top of the filler neck. With Skips valve or a working pressure cap
fill the 22 quart system up to about 1" from the top of the filler neck. As long as the temperature never gets above 210 the coolant will stay filled
for over a year. I found most pressure caps don't hit the bottom and use
a red rubber gasket silicone to the bottom seat. Picture attached. G.M.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 RADIATOR TUBES-1.jpg (53.5 KB, 77 views)