View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: Ok so a brand new radiator and it still runs hot

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
I am of the opinion that the number of rows of tubes in the radiator core is more important than the fins per inch specification. I bought a radiator a few years ago from one of the more popular radiator vendors that was specified at 10 fins per inch. I had the same problem you are describing. Around town it was fine. Climbing a grade or out in the desert it boiled over.

I thought the tubes may have become plugged from rust in the engine. I took the radiator to a radiator shop to have it rodded out. When they pulled the tanks off the tubes were not plugged, but there was only two rows of tubes.

I had the core replaced with a four row core and now the temp gauge stays locked on 160 (the thermostat setting) no matter where I travel.

I think the best solution to Model A radiators is to take an original radiator to a shop that speaks Model A and have them install a four row core.

Tom Endy
Tubes and fins are equal. With two rows of tubes, and put on as many fins that are practical is all you can do at that point, then add a set of tubes, and so on. any time I have to replace a Radiator in anything, I get the most tubes, and fins as possible, that will fit the hole it is going in. That is any engine, years ago, I wasted a lot of money trying to get by cheap, and that is always the most expensive. also as the boys said, it could be the timing, as a Hi Comp. head, is different. Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote