View Single Post
Old 04-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Joe K

Default Re: Typical Engine Life !

The AA truck I owned for a short 10 years (and sat in my garage) had 26K original miles. The former owner assured me that the original shims were ALL in the engine and hadn't been taken out under his tenure. And he was sure the former owner before him did NOTHING except move the vehicle around to carry a welder - and maybe change the oil once in a while.

the 26K engine was a bit loose - but not as bad as the original engine of my Model A CC truck - which at estimated 70K had the journals all "egg shaped." (to the tune of 0.003 or more)

I asked Richard Knight of Knight Engineering what he thought was a typical mileage between rebuilds when I had my engine rebuilt.

"Oh, most of them come to me with perhaps 70K miles or so on them. Some more, some less."

He attributed this to dust in the air being carried into the engine. And the wear being evidenced by blowby (taper) in the cylinders rather than lack of adjustment to the mains or rods.

"You definitely will get more life out of an engine if you use an air filter" he said.

Which makes sense given his experience.

Joe K