View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #36
Dick Carne

Default Re: New guy! Many questions

Hi David, and welcome! A couple of things: first, I think that you got an extremely good price for the car you show in your pictures - my frame of reference would suggest that you would still have been good even at $3-4K more than what you paid. Second, a number of folks will offer varying opinions, but if you are considering replacing the battery, I would suggest that you at least consider converting to a 12 volt system. There are pro's and con' to both six and twelve volt systems, but for a car that might be driven after dark, the 12-volt system will generally provide brighter lights. With respect to the rear bumper and trunk/trunk rack, I think that a trunk on sedans is a good investment, whether it is used for tools and spare parts, or personal effects while traveling. However, IF YOU DECIDE TO ADD A TRUNK, I would strongly advise that you consider extending the rear bumper beyond the trunk. By far the best extensions that I have seen (I have a set of these on two of my cars) are those offered by Snyder's, Mikes A-ford-able, and possibly Mac's (Part # A17777EX). These will extend the bumper out beyond the trunk rack when lowered by at least an inch. Finally, from the pictures of your interior, I would guess that you might have an early 1930 model, since the garnish moldings appear to have only a single point (I am of the understanding that beginning with the 1930 models, these were changed to a double point garnish molding). Regardless, you have a very nice car, and one that you should be able to enjoy for years to come. Good luck with all that you are doing with this old gentleman.

Dick
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote