View Single Post
Old 10-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
pgerhardt

Default Smooth Shifting The Model A

I am the newsletter editor for our model A club, the Fairfield County (CT) A's. I have written this short article to help members who may be having trouble smoothly shifting their model A. Since I certainly do not want to give members bad information I am first posting the article here for fact checking. Please let me know if I have gotten anything wrong. Thanks in advance!

=======================

If you want to consistently shift your model A smoothly, forget about “double clutching”!

Now let me be perfectly clear. I am not talking about the act of double clutching, but just the term “double clutching”. It is misleading, in that it leads one to believe the there is some magic involved in pushing the clutch pedal twice. I have seen some who are having trouble shifting, try triple clutching! I guess they figure if two is good, then three must be even better!

Smoothly shifting the model A every time does involve pushing the clutch pedal twice. But that is a side effect of executing the proper procedure, not the goal. The process of smoothly shifting the model A is more accurately described as: “clutch, neutral, clutch”. It is a three step process, not two.

1. Clutch out of gear
2. “De-clutch” (foot off the pedal) in neutral
3. Clutch into the next gear

Don’t worry the model A will normally have plenty of momentum to accomplish the three steps without rushing. In fact trying to “speed shift” the model A will most likely lead to a noisy disappointment.

These three steps work every time when up-shifting. Actually, if up-shifted at a low enough speed (both vehicle speed and the speed of your shift) the model A can be smoothly up-shifted without any special techniques. However this can result in “lugging” the engine.

Down-shifting is a four step process.
1. Clutch out of (third) gear
2. “De-clutch” in neutral
3. Give the throttle a good “blip” twice
4. Clutch into (second) gear

You will be amazed and pleased to see how well this works. However since this will usually happen when you are going up a hill, you will run out of momentum much faster, and you need to practice these steps until they can be done quickly. In addition no amount of special shifting technique will allow you to smoothly downshift into second if you are going too fast. Just stay at step 3 (in neural blipping the throttle) until gravity slows you enough to smoothly slip into second. With practice and experience you will get a feel for when to down-shift into second.

Both the up-shift and down-shift steps should practiced until they become muscle memory, and second nature.

The above advice is for those who are still trying to master shifting the model A. Those of you who have been driving the model A (and “double clutching”) for years just keep on doing what you have been doing. You have most likely developed the technique, muscle memory, and timing to accomplish the steps listed above without thinking about it. The next time you “double clutch” take notice of what you are doing. I’ll bet you will find that your foot is in the air while the transmission in neutral, and then comes down to clutch for the next gear.

Happy shifting!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote