View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #18
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: brake drum removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Purdy, I would respectfully disagree. I doubt it is $3.50, though I don't have the latest catalog in front of me. If the grove is damaged and you don't notice it the cheap one can do damage to the end of the axle as it may begin to spread and then pop off the hub under pressure. I have done it myself and heard of two others that spread and became hazardous to use. I know if everything is like it should be the cheapy works fine. It was a bad hub that gave me fits and ruined my tool. Sorry to say!

I checked Brattons on line catalog and the price is still $3.50 , just like it is offered in my 2017 catalog . I know that the cheap tool can cause more problems if the groove is damaged or the tool is used improperly . I'm not recommending the cheap knock off tool , its just what many of us have used before the more expensive hub pullers were readily available in the model A catalogs . I've owned and worked on model A's for 58 years . I remember that back in the day if a common man didn't have a puller they would remove the axle nut and reinstall it backwards and strike it with a hammer to remove the rear hub and drum . The reverse axle nut and hammer to remove the hub can damage the axle threads because the axle nut doesn't have a closed end to rest against the axle like the knock off tool does . If the cheap tool isn't properly tightened so that the closed end rests on the end of the axle , the threads and axle will probably be damaged . With the threads of the axle completely surrounded and the closed end of the tool touching the end of the axle , the threads will not be disturbed . if the tool isn't struck squarely , It can run the risk of bending or breaking off the threaded end of the axle . I now have the more expensive hub puller tool . I only mention the knock off tool because I use to use it and many probably still do .

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 12-09-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote