View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
37 Coupe

Default Re: Main Shaft in Trans is worn...

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I wish I had a brand new as Ford made it transmission to observe what I have seen in what was called out for in the ball bearing fit or classification.I do know from my bearing supplier that there is or I should say was ball bearings made with more tolerance than others,mayby this is good or bad. What I have osberved lately is the China bearings that I had fit on the main shaft bearings with no wobble at all but the much more expensive USA SKF bearings that were matched up from my originals do have a slight wobble or movement not on the press fit but ball bearings themselves. I have observed this in several other original or what I think are OEM bearings but not the China ones.So my conclusion is that some movement or alignment was engineered in so the two shafts would work better together? A tight no wobble bearing would seem to be desired but may eventually build up more heat from friction? I don't know for sure but I do know that with a China bearing you do not get much of a choice in grade or fit as you once did with USA or any of the other countries like Germany ,Italy and Sweden among many others who made very fine bearings.