View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #12
HalcyonDays

Default Re: Long distance buying

Thank you all for the replies. You have all brought up very good points. I do understand the perils of the internet and buying from and dealing with unknown sources. I do believe most, the majority, people are good and very trustworthy.

The issues I am running into is for one; there is a cost to transport the vehicle that must be factored into the buying price. The further away the greater this price is and so the offer or purchase price of the vehicle is less. This makes the buying price very attractive for someone closer without these expenses.

The second issues is that the vehicle is a highly sought after model, think town car, Service truck, 400A, deluxe phaeton. These cars are not available everywhere.

Third is the condition. This is more of a barn find. Hasn't seen light of day in forty years. Needing full restoration appears to be in unrestored original condition. It does have a replacement engine and newer designed rear engine mounts that were swap out somewhere along the line. However, a lot of the other features of the car seem to be original an in rough but restorable shape. I am not as concerned if it runs or not, I am assuming it does not. I am concerned about the investment needed to restore, it is a little too rough to keep as a barn find. The restoration cost could easily exceed future sales value.

Lastly is the location. The vehicle is in a remote location not near any large cities or airports. It would certainly be an adventure to travel to see the car in person.

Thanks again for the replies, if anyone has any further comments I would be interested in hearing. I do agree that hands on inspection, either by myself or an agent is the wisest advice. Maybe facetime...
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote