View Single Post
Old 05-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Would You Use it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
FYI, All the vendors carry them, Rock Auto does too for the best price - Felpro $19.00 ea.
If you want to run Felpro head gaskets and are worried about the trapezoidal water holes, then by all means do. They will surely work - and the price is a whole lot cheaper than others (like Best)

But, just to make us all think a bit (on the need for gaskets to match the center water jackets) . . . lets talk about three different block water jacket configurations (39 - 48):

1) 39-42 Ford 221: It has three trapezoidal water jackets (the one you show).
2) A 99A or 239 style Merc block has TWO trapezoidal water jackets - with a circular one in the middle. This is the block referred to as the 'Keystone' Merc block that is part of Flathead rumors and lore . . .
3) A 59x series block has one trapezoidal water jacket - up at the top.

Best gasket makes ONE style of gaskets for ALL of the above - whether copper or composite. Given that I've had nothing but good experiences with their gaskets (in all three of the above water jacket configurations) and I've heard nothing but positive reviews of their gaskets, one would think there is no need to have a different version for the different water jacket styles in the middle of the block.

I use the GraphTite gaskets on just about all of my builds - except high-end blown motors (they're a whole different beast).

See below:

1) 99A - 239 Merc - WWII Production:

DeckComplete copy.jpg

2) 59x Deck Surface:

BlockDesk-Porting-80.jpg

3) Best Gaskets: Copper:

BG-Copper.jpg

4) Best Gaskets: GraphTite:

BG-GraphTite.jpg

5) And here is a Cometic MLS Gaskets (which I'm running on the 42 Merc block shown above):

Cometic.jpg
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote