Thread: Oil weight
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 01:51 PM   #12
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Re: Oil weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
So accordingly I'll assume from the sound of your response you use non-dispersant. Thats your choice.

I'll agree oil is cheap insurance, doesn't take long to change it.
I use Shell Rotella T4 15w40, change every 500 miles, buy the 5 quart or 10 quart containers on sale. The Farm & Fleet store here frequently has mail in rebates that brings the cost down further. Use it due do to price point, it is available just about from everywhere in case I need some quick or on the road (have yet to need any on the road), has a little Zinc in it, and is a decent oil. Is it the best oil? Who knows, probably better oil out there, but if changed frequently is so much better than what was available in the day. And those motors from what I have read lasted 40,000 to 70,000 miles.

As a side note, saw my father once pour something (kerosene?) in the oil in of one of his old tractors and running the tractor for a couple of minutes before draining the oil (he collected old Masseys). I asked him about it. Told me his father did this occasionally on his tractor and on his Model A to flush the motor instead of dropping the pan to clean out sludge. On the tractor added it , ran the tractor a minute or 2 at idle, drained it, then filled with new oil. On the A, added the flush, ran the motor for 1-2 minutes at idle, drained the motor, would pour 2-3 quarts of old non contaminated oil through the distributor hole and breather/fill tube to clean out the oil galley and dipper tray and let it drain. Then filled with new oil. Just saying this is what my Grandfather with 5 kids with a live in house keeper since wife died due to complications of child birth, and was a dirt poor subsistence farmer who sharecropped in Minnesota/South Dakota did - not sure if this is ok to do.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote