View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
50fordcoupeman

Default Re: Steering wheel play

Hi rayfry. That nut on the top of the box does not tighten up your steering. It holds the slotted stud in place which puts tension on internal parts. Adjust the steering as follows: loosen the big nut and loosen the slotted stud about half turn. Get your front wheels safely off the ground and center your steering wheel. Crawl under the car and loosen the 4 bolts on the bottom plate of the steering box. Do not take this plate off. This plate has slotted bolt holes so the the plate rotates. This adjusts the slop. Rotate the plate a little bit-like an 1/8" or less. (Dont remember which way to turn it-one way tightens and other way loosens the slop). Tighten the 4 bolts and try steering for slop. Keep doing this until you are satisfied with steering slop. It will take several tries. When you are satisfied, lightly snug down the slotted stud on top of the box and tighten the nut that holds it. Check box for lubricant. PM me if you have questions.

My steering had about 4" of slop and now I have about an inch which to me is acceptable. Hope this helps. PM me if you have questions. Good luck!!
50fordcoupeman is offline   Reply With Quote