View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #20
VeryTangled

Default Re: 1936 floorboard screws

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50droptop View Post
Just to clarify how my ‘36 was when I disassembled it... but this is how that car was assembled... I have every reason to believe these are the original bolts Ford used in this application.
Hi Everyone, This is gonna sound snarky, sorry.

50droptop, a person can believe what they choose.

For example I believe that with very few exceptions over eight decades every vehicle has been tampered with to deviate from the condition when it was originally assembled. Even on the absolutely most original car you can imagine, would you expect it to still have the oil drain plug washer from the factory? Maybe that's a bad example but it starts the thought process.

In the nine years I've been a member I've read many accounts here on FordBarn of owners believing that because something was on the car when they got it, it must have been on there from the moment it was built.

One real life example: I judged cars for originality/correctness at an event over ten years ago. A '35 Sedan owner, I'd guess about 70 years old who could trace the ownership of the vehicle from new within his family, had a lot of difficulty being told his steering wheel was not of the type that would have been on the car new. "Uncle would never have changed that." And "It's always been on there." Were his thoughts.

But I believe it's a physical impossibility for him to have knowledge of every incident in the time that passes from when the car was assembled to today.

Then again, the judges could have been wrong, or the car could have actually been assembled with pieces different than the typical example.

The bottom line is it's your car and to me that means you have every right to make it in a way that pleases you.

Adding: But Don Rogers and DavigG's information is literally good enough to bet the farm on. Those two have over 100 years combined experience with the vehicles. Each one has spent weeks researching the archives for the actual, factual, information.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 09-08-2019 at 10:31 AM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote