View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 11:29 AM   #17
DHZIEMAN

Default Re: Cast-iron brake drum fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHZIEMAN View Post
Really a timely post by those with issues and responses from the experts. I just came in from the garage, attempting to get new riveted linings on my new cast iron drums. And bingo, no fit. I have the backing plate off, with shoes mounted, and the drum is a tight 11 inches. The shoes measure a bit over 11 inches and either the shoes need to be sanded down or as a suggestion in this post string, have the drums turned to fit. (or do both). Also, I am wondering, if anyone has had the experience with bonded linings if bonded linings are thinner negating what some of us are running into with the riveted linings!
I find as I get older, I should write a checklist of items to be done to install brake shoes properly, and in particular on my Model A Ford! I stated on this post chain, I was having the same problem as another in not getting the brake drum to fit on my new riveted brake shoes. I riveted them so hence, I started there to assure I had chamfered the ends and the rivets were tight and holding the lining tight to the shoe, that I had good springs, the brake floating plate had been welded up to spec and still the drums just would not go over the shoes. Got to looking at the Brake adjuster, ya know that square nut thing to adjust the brake shoes! I had thought I turned it all the way in. I thought! Key words. Since I had the backing plate off the car, I removed the brake shoes, and put the backing plate in a vise with wood blocks so as not to warp anything. Next, I got my home made square wrench and started trying to crank that square nut out more. Started spraying my favorite, WD40, on the adjustment, and just kept working it. Got it to turn freely and it turned several turns. More WD40 and I turned it back in again and then more WD40 and out again and surprise it turned out more. Put the brakes shoes back on the backing plate, by the way I am getting good at putting the springs back on, and the brake drum now fits over the new shoes with a bit of clearance! Gotta start doing check lists, or better yet know more about what I am doing or both! What is left now that I cannot do myself is get the new drums trued to the hub. Should get that done this week when in town.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote