View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
Joe K

Default Re: Steering column 29 A

Quote:
Originally Posted by k24556 View Post
OK. with the great advice I got here, I'm in the middle of disassembly. I got the switch off and the tube out. Everything cleans up pretty good. I expected a wire or something in the center of the tube that connects the horn button to the wiring. I noticed on Snyders that they sell a kit that has a wire and what looks to be connectors. Am I correct in assuming the wire goes up the tube and connects to the button?
This true. If you have continuity problems with the horn switch, you can either replace only the wire, the switch (which can be bought as a sub-assembly) or the entire center turn thingy going from the wheel down to the light switch.

Keep in mind the horn works by "grounding" the horn circuit (i.e. battery, then horn, then switch, then ground.) This may have not been among Ford's better arrangements (although I can't complain about mine) and it seems a lot of horn switches were "relocated" to the dash-board by people attempting to pass the vehicle inspection.

Its nice when the horn works "conventionally" however. Original may be required in some states ("Safety equipment" - beware!)

Joe K