Thread: Drake Sale:
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #16
TJ

Default Re: Drake Sale:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Having been in the hobby for more than sixty years, I have seen it go through many phases, but without the likes of Dennis and Bob, we'd be in pretty bad shape. Sure, not every last thing they've offered has been up to snuff and perpetually having long-lasting holes in their inventories is a reputation killer, but their good stuff has been a boon to the hobby and I'm a customer of them both. As v8fordman implies, get what you need now as in the not too distance future, both Bob and Dennis will be gone and their heirs have a very different view of where their future business lies. If you think the demise of LeBaron Bonney is an isolated instance, your tea leaves are misleading you.
A very accurate assessment Dave. Going to a V-8 National Meet is a good indication of what is happening. Lots of old Dearborn type cars, but very few if any fresh restorations. As things stop selling the manufacturers must look at how many of the items they previously made will sell in the future. Is it worth making another run of an item or not? They have to make tough business decisions the consumer does not have to make. These guys have to make money to survive. As we look around these same guys we depend on are the same age that we are and maybe would like to retire. If their kids have no interest and no one wants to buy the company they have to close the doors. How many kids or grand kids want our old cars? Not many unfortunately. The hobby is not dying, but it is shrinking. I'm just happy that these vendors have been around as long as they have for us to enjoy the hobby.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote