View Single Post
Old 06-17-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
scicala

Default Re: '62 - '63 T-Bird 390 factory tri power

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt63bird View Post
Your center carb should be C2SZ 9510-C, List # 2499. The one you have is the Galaxies version. Numbers were unchanged during its offering on M-Series 340hp T-bird 390s from mid 1962 production Jan-Feb '62 through January 1963.

Difference between front and rear secondary carbs is the front one had a bracket for the anti-stall dashpot required for use with an automatic transmission. Galaxies were not available with a slushbox, hence front and rear were same.

Only the center carb should have the choke. Throttle arms are different between the Galaxies and T-bird primary carbs - Galaxies version has a straight one while T-bird forms a 'C'. Metering blocks also differ but I don't have those numbers committed to memory right now.

Lots of info can be found on the T-bird tripower setup by searching in the 1961-1963 T-bird section of the VTCI Forum at www. vintagethunderbirdclub.net and in VTCI's 1961-1963 Original Factory Specifications Manual.

BTW my 63 T-bird HT has the M-Series induction system - I finally found the correct carbs for it after having Joe Bunetic go through an incorrectly stamped set that I had him install the correct throttle arms on 17 years ago. I need to get the correct set restored and replace the ones currently have on my hardtop.

Thank you very much for the valuable and hard to find info to all.
I've contacted the owner with this info and leaving it up to him on if he cares about 100% correct or not.
Pretty sure I can make it work with what he has, although it will resemble a Galaxie set up.
Those T-Bird center carbs (2499) have to be as rare as hen's teeth.

Thanks again, Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote