Thread: Event Signage?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2021, 07:13 PM   #17
Synchro909

Default Re: Event Signage?

I consider our club to be quite lucky because we have had a few younger people join recently. We older ones are giving them every hand we can, even to the point of buying a club car. The one we ended up with was semi restored by a long time member and his wife donated it to the club after he passed away. The work finishing it off was an opportunity for these younger guys to learn but they also work and have families so they couldn't make the most of that opportunity. The car will be available to the "young guns" to borrow and use on events.
These younger guys held a rally a while ago called the B40 rally. The cars had to be at least 40 years old and the entrants no more than 40. WE let them do all of the organising, ready to make a suggestion if they were heading for a disaster. They didn't.
The turnout was amazing. Many had never driven dad's (or grandad's) car before and although the parking lot at the start must have been littered with gear teeth by the time they got going, they all got the hang of it with a little coaching from those who had driven a non synchro gearbox before. The general feeling after was "I didn't know this could be such fun" to "When are we going to do this again". What a success! COVID unfortunately has delayed he next one but it will happen.
I have noticed that the things these young blokes want to do are the same things the older members used to do when they were that age. Seems nothing changes.

PS. Two of these new, younger members are women who do all of the maintenance etc on the car themselves. There is no shortage of support available to them.