View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: Banjo bell bearing race puller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehpotsirhcj View Post
Following up in case anyone might want to use this method. It worked pretty slick! the races came out without damage to them as far as I can tell, and it’s free to boot. I only had 1/4 flat stock laying around, and that did work, but bent a bit in the process. For the second I cut a chunk off an old cold chisel and welded that to back of the plate. Maybe someone can school me on gauging the condition of used races. Would be good to know if the current replacements are low quality. A couple photos, the first is the setup I used, and the second looking up into the bell when on the press. I used the magnet from a HF small parts dish to hold everything in place until I had the bar seated. Damn that was fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks like "mission accomplished" to me

A couple things I recall about making that cross bar was making the total length and radiused ends such that it would just fit on the exposed ledge of the brg race, and stay pretty much centered in place inside the housing when on top of the race. I probably lucked out on the thickness necessary to prevent the bar from bending, but I used a piece of what I, or maybe it was what the company I worked for, considered to be scrap metal.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 04-09-2020 at 12:35 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote