View Single Post
Old 07-18-2021, 09:35 PM   #1
SteveR.

Default 3rd engine failure...getting frustrated

I've had my '30 Tudor about 4 years. The first engine a valve seat came loose and destroyed a piston. The 2nd engine I bought used, locally for $1,000, and believe it was a junk engine, it was losing a lot of oil from day 1....took just a few months of driving before something came apart inside...I wrote it off as being a junk engine and didn't investigate, after hearing from someone local that the seller had become known for selling junk.

The 3rd engine I had built by a reputable builder I won't name until I've had a chance to talk to him. Cost was about $3,500. I drove it maybe 1,000 miles. Today something serious came apart inside while driving about 20 mph. A serious, loud knocking, I assume a rod or main, this is a severe knock, not tapping.

If my driving is causing the problem I'd really like to know, but I can't imagine that is the case. I drive on weekends, maybe 15 to 30 miles a week. I don't drive it at full throttle except when needed to accelerate in traffic. Typically I drive 40 to 45mph when traffic is that speed. I've never considered a "B" head or anything similar as I have no interest in more power or driving faster, I just want it to be reliable. I've had it at 50 to 55mph only a handful of times on this engine, I don't drive it at full throttle to take it easy on the engine. I start it with the spark fully retarded, then advance to maybe 70% to 80% of full spark. I don't drive it will the spark fully advanced, even at speed.

What in the world is going on? I'm baffled...I will get feedback from the builder, but if the engines are this fragile I'm thinking about getting rid of the car, but I really don't want to as we thoroughly enjoy it. I see people driving these across the country and there is zero chance I've given my engine more abuse than that in maybe 1,200 miles. I have limited time to keep swapping engines, not to mention the cost, I've spent near $5k and still don't have a good engine.

Last edited by SteveR.; 07-18-2021 at 10:11 PM.