View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #1
Owlseye

Smile Door Hinge repair

On my 1933 BB truck the drivers door lower hinge rivets have pulled thru the door. Stress cracks from always being used. I need advice and opinion on repairing the door where the hinge mounts. The lower hinge was originally riveted to the door body and bolted to the cab. What is the best way to repair the damage? Take the door off and weld a heavy steel plate to the door edge where the rivets pulled out and use round head bolts to remount the hinge? Weld the plate on the outside or inside of the door? Tap and thread the hinge and use counter sunk screws to mount the hinge? Did the hinge pull flush against the door body or was there a spacer between the door frame and the hinge inside the door? This is not going to be a concourse restored truck. My plan is to keep it looking like a current farm use truck, but dependable. After this my next big job on it will be king pins and bushings. Radiator, engine, clutch, brakes and wiring have all been done. Seats are in the works. Just covers as the springs and frames are good. Thanks for the advice.
Owlseye is offline   Reply With Quote