View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #1
spinelll

Default Rear Main Leak – Bear with me

I’m trying to use process of elimination on my rear main leak.

Crankcase vent is not blocked.

I dropped the oil pan and took a little bit off the threaded end of the small oil drain tube that runs from the bearing to the oil pan.
I wanted to ensure that when fully tightened, that the tube was not breaching the cap and restricting return oil.
Buttoned everything up and ran at idle for 30 minutes. No leaks.
Then I increased the RPMs a bit and ran at that higher idle for about 15 minutes after which, there was some oil dripping from the cotter pin.
Then I took the car out for a spin (15 minutes?) and, just as prior to removing the pan, oil was finding its way down the middle of the half-moon inspection plate and also at the cotter pin. So I’m sure the oil tube is not the issue.

I keep the oil level just a bit above the LOW mark. But then I read where if the oil tube is not actually submerged, crankcase pressure can push oil up that tube.

What else can I check? If I idle the car with the inspection plate off, will that reveal anything?

It’s really frustrating. Every time I take the car to a buddy’s place, I either have to park in the street or bring shags of cardboard. It’s enough to make me consider selling it believe it or not.

Thank
Leo
spinelll is offline   Reply With Quote