View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #16
Palouse Milano

Default Re: 1936 Ford Roadster Fiberglass Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerlot View Post
Pat Mooney developed his roadster bodies in the early-1980's. These Mooney bodies were designed to replace steel bodies, and looked identical in most details. By 1991 Mooney had sold out to Mike Milano after building 60 bodies. Both owners used the "Automotive Specialites" company name, but the products had changed greatly after the move to Milano. Cost reducing the labor for the molds and jigs had missaligned the bodies, and resulted in real quality issues with the product. Mike Milano sold everything to Keith Ashley of Fairlane by 1994, and Keith ended up redoing most of the molds and jigs to address these issues. Ashley shut down Fairlane a few years ago, and recently the molds and jigs were sold (for pennies on the dollar) to a shop in the Southeast region who intends to restart production.

But, those original Mooney bodies are built in the Wescott style and are of very high quality. I have one on the road now (and for sale too).

Other than JB Donaldson, Heritage Hotrods and Deuce Customs in Australia make roadster bodies.

Steve
Per the post from Cornerlot on the sale of Automotive Specialties. I, Mike Milano, did NOT buy the business or build poor quality bodies. My work on the bodies ended with the sale of Automotive Specialties by Pat to a party in south/central WA. I too heard of the quality issues related the work AFTER the business was first sold, but that work was NOT done by me!!
Palouse Milano is offline   Reply With Quote