View Single Post
Old 06-03-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
Cornerlot

Default Re: 1936 Ford Roadster Fiberglass Body

Pat Mooney developed his roadster bodies in the early-1980's. These Mooney bodies were designed to replace steel bodies, and looked identical in most details. By 1991 Mooney had sold out to Mike Milano after building 60 bodies. Both owners used the "Automotive Specialites" company name, but the products had changed greatly after the move to Milano. Cost reducing the labor for the molds and jigs had missaligned the bodies, and resulted in real quality issues with the product. Mike Milano sold everything to Keith Ashley of Fairlane by 1994, and Keith ended up redoing most of the molds and jigs to address these issues. Ashley shut down Fairlane a few years ago, and recently the molds and jigs were sold (for pennies on the dollar) to a shop in the Southeast region who intends to restart production.

But, those original Mooney bodies are built in the Wescott style and are of very high quality. I have one on the road now (and for sale too).

Other than JB Donaldson, Heritage Hotrods and Deuce Customs in Australia make roadster bodies.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
The original glass '36 roadsters and phaetons were made by Pat Mooney in Albion ,Washington. At some point the molds etc. were sold to Fairlane Automotive. I believe they are no longer in business. I think JB Donaldson may be the only one that makes them now. The ones by Mooney were steel framed inside, much like the bodies made by Wescott. I built a Mooney bodied car some years a go and it was a pretty good product.
Cornerlot is offline   Reply With Quote