View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 12:03 PM   #11
dmsfrr

Default Re: Pressurizing Rocker Shafts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford blue blood View Post
. . . The problem with oiling the top end is rooted in the oil routing to the head and the fact that older oils used "back in the day" did a really crappy job of keeping the oil clean. The passage for oiling the top end make two 90s on it's way up' The oil hole in the block is off set from the hole in the head. There is a small groove in the head that hooks the two together. That is the culprit. Pull the heads and clean both holes up and down, clean the groove or enlarge the groove slightly and live happily ever after. New oils keep the transfer groove clean a gagillion times better!
Pictures...
The oil hole up thru the block is 5/16, the hole up thru the head is 1/4. Offset from each other approx 1 & 1/2 inches.
Depending on how well the head was cast or if it's been resurfaced the groove underneath can be shallower than originally designed. I've seen a couple that made me fairly concerned.

I remember removing a pair of head gaskets that had swollen a bit into the groove in the head, making it even smaller. Sludge could then more easily block the passage of oil.

I've been meaning to ask if other folks think cutting a small channel out of the head gasket right where the groove is might be a good idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oil hole, block.jpg (60.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg oil groove in head.jpg (56.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg oil hole head, top.jpg (64.6 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-18-2020 at 05:47 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote