View Single Post
Old 12-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
Tim Ayers

Default Re: Engine teaser: Getting closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
That should be some fun! Looking forward to hearing it run . . . you'll like that Potvin cam - one of my favorites. Did you get it from Pete?

Just an FYI, that isn't an 'L' block in my mind . . . as everyone that I've seen has an actual 'L' cast into the bellhousing - just below the 59.

Now this doesn't make any difference in that I've never been able to find any consistent difference between any of the 59X larger bore blocks (with hands on sonic testing). I've seen factory relieved blocks 'Z' blocks, 'L' blocks, etc . . . I don't believe any are better than the others - as long as you found a good one without too much corrosion in the water jackets (causing the cylinder walls to be thinner).
Dale:

I didn't get it from Pete, but I wish I had. I got it from Bill Jenks @ Moon about 15 years ago.

It took quite of bit of work to get it timed right. Ronnie had to redrill and plug the timing gear to get it probably timed.

I got this block with it already @ 3 3/8". It was the fifth block I went through.

We were hoping +.010 would clean it up, but that was not the case. Regardless, sonic testing showed plenty of meat left even after going +.030"
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote