View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #10
grchristo

Default Re: What Year Flathead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The distributor is incorrect for that carburetion setup as it is designed to work with one (and only one) specific carburetor, which you obviously do not have. It is what is called a "Load-a-Matic", which is a vacuum advance only distributor with NO mechanical advance. There is no vacuum line connected to the advance mechanism on the distributor, so that setup, as it stands, has no advance capability whatsoever. You will need to replace the distributor with either a converted SBC distributor available from several sources, among which "Charlie ny" on this forum is one of (if not) the best, or an old Mallory dual point with a mechanical advance. Or perhaps you could temporarily go back to a stock intake with the proper Holley 94 single carb to just get it running. Since the condition of the engine is largely unknown. this may be the best route to take.

The numbers stamped on the intake surface are not typical of what I have seen. I don't think the "30" in the square is part of the factory stamping, but rather a rebuilders stamp, perhaps indicating a .030 overbore. The "A" and the "B" indicate an April 1952 build date, and I think I see a "2" stamped after the "B". I think we can be confident that it is an April, 1952 engine.

Thank you, this is great information....I really appreciate it. I know nothing about these motors (but love how they look).I will look for the distributor and thanks for the name to contact.
grchristo is offline   Reply With Quote