Thread: F100 1951
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Barry-ct

Default Re: F100 1951

Depends on which way you want to go. Stock restoration or modified. If stock, I'd buy a shop manual and a parts book. The shop manual is available thru many of the parts dealers or on Ebay. THe best parts book is the 48-54 0r 48-55 versions. These are on Ebay and as far as I know, are not reproduced yet. They also have both books on CD rom. Parts book has many exploded drawing to help and the shop manual has a wiring diagram in the back and is good for other repairs.
I would assemble the missing parts on the engine and work on getting it running. See if the engine will crank over by hand. If it does, get a battery and spin it over that way via the push button on dash. Check oil level. Put the carb on if not frozen up. If it were me, I'd try a tiny amount of gas down the carb and close the choke most of the way. Have an extinqisher handy. If you have a key, turn it on and put truck in nuetral. Hit the starter button and see if it fires up. Make sure the tires are blocked first. It may just pop or start briefly and die. Remember the ground cable goes to the + on the battery. If it's been sitting a long time, you may have to clean and adjust the points. THis is where the shop manual comes in handy. Make sure your kids are not near the truck if something happens!! Have a buddy around to help you. If you get it to start don't run it long. I would rig up a small gas tank from a old mower that you'd hook the hose to the fuel pump. It goes to the side that the line from the tank goes to. Tank probably has crud in it from sitting. Put that up by the windshield. Wire it up so it does not fall.Anything in the radiator? If you use water, make sure you drain it when you're done. I know it gets cold in Tulsa. Don't put antifreeze in yet, until you get it running decently. Upper and lower hoses ok? If they're hard and cracked, get new ones. Your battery and starter cable ends should be clean to make good contact.
I know I've missed some things, but it would be alot to remember if you're new to it. Take your time and BE CAREFUL! Don't get hurt is the number one rule.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote