View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
GOSFAST

Default Re: 8BA Edelbrock head clearance

I brought this back up, Kev is looking for some "real" numbers on the 1115 Edelbrock casting!

We rarely have that part number heads around here, we generally use the 1116's, but I can put some numbers here! I'll also place a photo below of an 1116 we have here now!

All the numbers I'll put here are (nominal), meaning very close!

The thickness above the valve pockets is .780"+.

The thickness directly above the piston dome area is .250"+.

The valve pocket depths as machined by Edelbrock measure .500"+ down from the head surface. You could "flycut" these .100"+ if necessary and still be very safe! I would say the 1115 heads could be cut even further and be safe also?

These 1116's come with the machined 74cc chambers where the 1115's come in at 61cc's. Generally speaking, most times there's no add'l machining required on the 1116 heads. The larger chambers lend themselves very well to "strokers" or "blown" units.

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. I will add here, all the later model (8BA) Edelbrock heads (1115's/1116's) start with the same casting and are machined accordingly. The thickness above the pistons is the same on either the 1115's or the 1116's, but most likely would have a "larger" thickness number above the valve pockets on the 1115's due to less material being removed and a lower number than the .500"+ depth from the head surface for the same reason?? Here's a shot may help further, keep in mind these are on the 1116's? On a side note you can see the head in the photo is already set up for our "pinned" decks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Edelbrock Heads-Dimensions.jpg (80.2 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by GOSFAST; 09-23-2019 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Add info
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote