View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #19
Brad Hole

Default Re: Need a 4 speed synchronized truck tranny

I'm with GB, Shu, and Flatford8. I, much like GB, didn't have much direction on how to drive a non-synchro. I was 20 at the time, and got the hang of upshift relatively easily (I had/have a '45 1.5ton), but I always ground the downshift something horrible - to the point that I just wouldn't do it. I did exactly as GB did - depress the clutch twice between shifts, but it never helped, because, as he stated, the engine RPM's wouldn't match the road speed.
Later that year, I purchased a '47 1.5 ton with a '56 312 Merc and a "HD truck trans" (still haven't figured out what it is. Maybe this winter...), but still straight-cut gears. I love driving the truck, so I figured that I better teach myself how to downshift, I made some noise (and I'm sure some fine metal shavings), but after a few weeks I had it down decently.
Like said above, it's all about matching RPM/engine noise to road speed. I had a especially fun time because neither my speedo nor my tach work, so it's all by ear and feel. But once you get the hang of it, it's rather enjoyable.
Brad Hole is offline   Reply With Quote