Thread: heating problem
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
miker98038

Default Re: heating problem

Ok, the 56 Merc, with a y block and adding a/c. Almost everything above applies to any engine, and Dobie covered it pretty well in his second post.

If you go over to y blocks forever and search "Greenbird56", you'll find a series of post on cooling. From restricting the w/p bypass, to Hayden fan clutches to fan blades. It's going to take some searching, and Greenbird is sometimes on here.

His solution works in Tucson at 115 degrees, but I don't think he has a/c. But 'birds are much harder to cool than the full size cars. With the right shroud, fan, sealing, etc. a/c in a Merc shouldn't be a problem.

My bird runs an aluminum radiator, full shroud, and electric fan. Small additional fan on the condenser. A/C setup from ClassicAutoAir. On a 90 degree Seattle day, in traffic, the main fan runs 90-120 seconds on, then off for 2-3 minutes. It doesn't get much hotter than that here, but given the run cycle, I'm probably good stopped to about 100 degrees. But I had to use all Greenbird and Dobies items to get there. Again, a full size car, with the motor clean (not rusted up in the water passages) should be doable.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote