View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 12:42 AM   #10
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: Counter balanced crank

Counter weighted cranks have to be made in the correct way, to get the smoothest running balance.

The ones I see, with a chunk of iron hanging off one side, opposite a throw, is the wrong way to try and counter balance a crank, and get all of the advantages of a counter weight sucking up the power stroke impulse.

The right way to weight a crank, is to have some of the weight incircle the center line of the crank. To see what I mean, look at Jim's post No. 9.

With the pin, and the thickness of the weight between the pin and center line, should be about the same amount in weight that is sticking out the opposite side.

That is where you get smooth running balance.

1969 we started building counter weights, like Ford had on the Trucks. The only thing we changed, was we made the weights 5/8's wide, same as the crank disks, and didn't have the heavy chunk of iron that stuck in the way of the rod pin so you couldn't grind it with out removing the weights. In a truck, I can see where the extra weight would help, but would not be of any benefit in a car.

We have about 75 to a 100 out there. We haven't built any for about 10 years now, as we are to busy with Babbitting.

I found two cranks with the weights on.

The first one is a stock Model A crank, with weights.

The second one is an A counter weighted crank that I put in a Model T block for Mel Alexandra, (Spelled wrong ) of Ohama , Ne.

Herm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Our Model A Counter Weighted Crank 013.jpg (34.4 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Crank, in a Model T Block 004.jpg (38.0 KB, 216 views)
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote