View Single Post
Old 03-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #499
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Captain Cornflakes spraying grubs in Canola.

Boree Creek is a farming community about 25 minutes flying time north east of Tocumwal. A good area for winter cereal, canola and fat lambs. And a good community. A community that supports each other, they all pull in the same direction. I loved working there.
When canola starts to ripen it can be subjected to grub infestation. Army worm. To the farmer that’s an insecticide spray job or devastation. Either or. Unfortunately it coincides with the rice sowing season so one year I sent an operator who used to subby to me. John Cornish, dubbed Captain Cornflakes by the Swede who put a handle on everyone.
At Boree Creek the arrival of an aeroplane was an occurrence for a social gathering. Farmers used to congregate around the aeroplane loading site. The girls turned up with morning tea and lunches. Those were the days when markers armed themselves with flags to provide the pilot with tracking guidance across the crop, whereas today marking or tracking is provided by GPS.
Cornflakes was speaking to a farmer who was next to be sprayed and hears this conversation between other farmers. It starts with John Golder asking his brother Allan, whose spray job was only just completed, “how did it go Allan” to which the response was “well they (the grubs) are all on their back now with legs in the air” to which the responce from another was “I wonder if he (Cornflakes) could fly past and drift a little through my house”.
The picture is of my aeroplane, an Agcat, in this case spraying tomatoes. Cornflakes used the same type.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat2.jpg (28.0 KB, 8 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote