View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
Joe K

Default Re: Surging at idle with spark where it should be

So where is spark where it should be for you?

Vince Falter indicates it should be fully retarded at start, then advanced slightly at idle. Then proportionately advanced to perhaps a little more than half way as the engine speed is increased.

http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/bdistributoradvance.htm

Quote:
The Model A ignition uses a zero crankshaft degree (TDC) initial timing point so that the engine can be easily started by hand crank, however it should never be run under load in this "retarded" position. The advance lever should always be advanced 1/3 to 1/2 travel (13 to 20 crankshaft degrees BTDC) on the steering column quadrant after starting the engine, and should generally not be run more than 3/4 advanced on the column under any normal circumstances.
Early in my Model A experience I FINALLY got to where I felt the timing was correct - at least all the performance, lost motions, and "spark check" showed it was correct. However, on idle with the spark advanced to the top (my first mistake) the engine "rolled." I noticed when fully retarded, the engine ran tick-tick-tick like a fine watch.

For a long time I thought there must be something else here. There was - I was not running the engine properly! Now thanks to reading Vince, I know better.

Joe K