Thread: Gear oil
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #12
M2M

Default Re: Gear oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forddan View Post
I have used for the last year the MEROPA 1500 sell by restoration supply (link provided in a previous post), with excellent results.

It's been said that in winter you can't shift. Not true for my MA winter. I started the car this winter with several degrees Celsius below cero in the non heated barn and moved the car, back and front inside the barn and shift perfectly. You will read that you can't move the shift at all. Well, on our MA winter if I go with -11 Celcius outside (-7 in the barn) without starting the car, you can shift without problem. Yes, it is a little harder than in Summer, but smooth and without problem

At least that was my experience. But I am a newbie.

You can take a look to this thread I started in October:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272671

Good on you Forddan, you did some critical thinking rather than just be sucked in by the words "600W" on a generic plastic bottle. Gear oils must come with some info such as pour point, ISO rating, viscosity index (you want 100 or more), copper corrosion test...if a seller cannot supply then don't buy. Even the top $ Penrite Transoil specs do not mention some of this critical info. I guess their plan is to sell their oil based on the cool painting on the bottle. You don't buy books based only on what the cover looks like.

Last edited by M2M; 02-22-2020 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote