View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #1006
TomT/Williamsburg

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
I would do that except, I don't like the way alternators look sitting atop a Flathead intake, kind of like a fish out of water... I've looked at the alternators inside the generator case but, it's hard to convince myself to spend the money they want... I'll stick with the generator set up as it has worked fine (in the truck) for the last eight years. I also have a stock generator (converted to 12 volts) in our '47 Convertible and it has been fine for almost 15 years...
I agree that an alternator on a flattie does not look the best - I have a 1-wire unit on my coupe. I don't like it but it's been there for 12 years and THAT I like - no issues and you know I drive it.

I have the powergen on my roadster - yes, it was pricey but it was more of keeping to my theme/time period and the looks of the car that pushed me to it. They do have their purpose but it's like anything else - only you can decide what's best for your vehicle and how you drive it.

Now, with your fleet, and I love every one of them, believe me, one might think taking the alternator path the most desirable. To be truthful, I can't even find a place within 80 miles of me that can properly convert a 6-volt generator no less rebuild a 12-volt one and that also pushed me towards the alt in my coupe and the powergen in my roadster. But, and I can hear someone saying it, if the powergen goes out on my way to bonneville, then what?!

Yep - the age old addage - you either have time or money but not both ....

Any way we run them, whatever config, in whatever vehicle, the flathead definitely has the most love-hate relationships on the planet!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote