Thread: Your Model A
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 08:26 AM   #50
37 Coupe

Default Re: Your Model A

My first old car or actually the first car I ever bought on my own was a 1930 standard roadster.I bought it in the summer of 1964 with my first paycheck at 18 years old. My dad always liked Model A's and it always surprised me he never owned one but always bought Chevrolet.His first Ford was a 1953 and had Fords until his last. I think dad was afraid I was going to make a street rod out of the roadster,think they were called hotrods back then,but in 1965 he had a four car garage built and sorta took over my car. I went into the Navy in late 1965 and he had work done on the car everytime I got home on leave.My mom always said he set goals for when I would get home the next time to see it. Fast forward to 1975 and I with my own home and family dad wanted the car in my garage finally but by this time I had turned my attention to Early Ford V8.Couple 1946 Fords that I restored and always sold for the next project,many others until now this year 2018 I decided that the most fun I ever had with an old car was traveling back roads in that roadster.I did have a non Ford that was pretty good at the back road enjoyment but just not quite the same,a 1932 Plymouth PB convertible coupe. So I sold the PB and bought a '31 roadster,should have tried it on for size better and definitely should have looked around for one that didn't need so much mechanical work but I have all winter.Roadster is a very old restoration actually before mine was restored in the late sixties.Paint and upholstery are pretty good looking and will stay that way,probably at least 56 years old,don't think body was ever off frame. A lot of car people think the Model A hobby is dwindleing but I don't think it is.I went to an estate auction Saturday the 15th,two Model A Fords were sold and I bought an engine.Lot of guys just like me wanting to enjoy an old Ford and kinda veering away from the prices of the 1932 and up Flathead Fords. So I think Model A Fords popularity will just grow because of availability and reasonable prices.