Thread: Your Model A
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
lucky_stripe_garage

Default Re: Your Model A

My love of cars started because of my grandfather. My Great-grandfather worked for the Ford Assembly plant in Dallas, TX. They had property that was full of all sorts of cars that they drove, or my great grandfather towed away for people. My grandfather always kept his dads 1932 Ford Tudor (I know it's not a Model A) whenever they moved to a new house.

My Model A belonged to a former Master Chief in the Navy. He bought it for $50 in Roswell, NM in 1974 and spent the next two years restoring it. It was parked in the garage and placed on jack stands sometime in December of 1976. He started working on it again in the late 90's, but ended up getting sick and wound up in a VA nursing home. I worked there as a nurse when he moved in and noticed he had a Ford oval pin on his hat with "30" on it. He told me all about his 1930 Model A Tudor Sedan, and what he wanted to do when he got to go home. We would sit up all night talking cars. As his illness progressed, his wife invited me over to see the car and help clean up and organize his shop. I ended up buying a lot of old tools, hubcaps etc.. He unfortunately assed away in 2014.

About 2 months after he passed his wife called me. She said that the family discussed what to do with the car and since no family members were interested in getting it back on the road, they wanted me to purchase the car. We worked out a deal for payment and temporary storage while I was moving. I finally brought my car back into the sun Easter weekend of 2016. I've enjoyed learning about the car and how to fix it and keep her going. My youngest daughter is starting to express interest in wanting to rebuild her own Model A now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucky_stripe_garage is offline   Reply With Quote