View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Gas Blowing Out Exhaust

I had a similar problem with a Holley 94 on my '28 Phaeton. It has always been a hard starter when warm and a little tricky in the morning. I've tried another 94 with the same results.
Last week I had to park the car on a slight angle with the driver's side at a lower rake than the right side. The car sat like this for a few days while I worked on a different car in the garage. After several days, I was smelling gasoline outside and then noticed oil leaking downhill - a LOT of oil with a gassy smell. The bottom of the wishbone and flywheel housing were covered with an oily substance and the dripping was steady - and smelly. The dipstick showed no oil, although I know there is sufficient oil in the crankcase. The engine wouldn't start, so I managed to push it into the garage to drain the oil. WHOOSH!!! Out rushed a very thin gas and oil mixture that nearly overfilled the drain bucket. What had apparently happened during those days sitting at a side angle was the Holley 94 carb continued to drip fuel until it overwhelmed the intake manifold and ran into the oil pan, filling it to overflow. The reason I couldn't see any oil on the dipstick was i was seeing clear gasoline that had settled on top of the oil or quasi-mixed with it. I refilled with fresh oil and changed the filter. The engine fired right up.
Until I can address the carb issues over the winter, I intend to cut the fuel pump a couple seconds before shutting off the engine to eliminate possible lingering pressure in the line that forces gasoline to continue to dip. I will also use the on/off valve under the tank to shut off the fuel flow to the carb. So far, this seems to be working in the garage. I haven't had a chance to test this theory after driving the car to see if dripping fuel is why the car is so hard to start after driving it. That might have been the problem all these years when a hot start was problematic. I have to believe it's all related.
I see that the OP stated he has no fuel pump, so that can be eliminated as possible trouble maker. But I would also suggest turning off the fuel a few seconds before killing the ignition. Maybe we share the same problem?
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 07-18-2018 at 09:10 AM. Reason: "that" instead of "than"
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote