View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 03:40 AM   #7
dumb person

Default Re: new kid, first purchase T

The body pieces sound like they will work, even the whippet parts as people used to modify those to fit a model T back in the speedster era. The mustang steering box will work if you use the '30s axles but those mount a little differently, personally i would use the T axles for a lightweight speedster & if you need a lower steering ratio a ford 10 steering box looks light enough, it might work but you could have a hard time finding one.
As for the wheels i think model A tires (which for vintage tires are not that pricey compared to other sizes) would fit those rims, they might need some repairs judging by the photographs. i have entertained the idea of using plowing disks as steel wheels to replace the wood spokes, that might work for you.
If you do use the original axles you can add a band brake that goes around the outside of the brake drum as well as using the internal brake shoes. Pick your choice of whether the parking brake is the one on the outside or inside of the drum & the pedal goes on the other. The linkage is simple enough you could swap them over of you change your mind.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote