View Single Post
Old 05-08-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
Admiral

Default Re: Long-Distance Driving

There's some great advice here! I'm already a member of the Early Ford V8 Club (Dearborn Regional Group No. 67) so that's one thing out of the way. I think I'll build a custom toolbox that will fit in part of the luggage area to hold the recommended necessities, though it'll have to be small since my car's only a flatback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Join the Early Ford V/8 club and take the rooster along with you. If you need a part or help most members are pleased to help. On long cross country trips take all the parts you can carry. If you have them you won't need them. Fix the car right in the first place and it will run for years. I did my 39 convertible 32 years ago and put about 125,000 miles on it with a few minor repairs but no major ones. It still runs and sounds perfect. I can jump in it tomorrow and go on a 1,000 or 2,000 mile trip. The only thing I would have to do is change the oil. I have a Columbia 2 speed rear with 3:78 gears and drive 10 hours straight at 65 to 75 MPH. Get the cooling so it runs at 180, I think that's a key to longevity along with good oil pressure. I had the 39 out today and it was 92 and it ran between 178 and 182 the entire time. You also need to be able to fill the radiator up into the filler neck and have it stay there. G.M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Ha - try packing all the spare parts, tools, oil, antifreeze, full gasket set, and so much more in the trunk of my avatar! Did it last year on a 5500 mile trip and over 3 weeks on the road with another Fordbarner, Chuck Lesard, and like it has been said - we mostly used my parts and tools to help others out! But, Murphy's law - if you have it you won't need it ....

If you or someone you know is a member of the NSRA, they have a Fellow Pages and there are plenty of guys listed in it all over the country. Just another source to call for help on if you need it .... if you do not have an accessory plug in your vehicle they can be very, very helpful/handy when the chips are down!
It's amazing how reliable these old cars are with you guys putting thousands of miles on them in such brief periods of time, though 125,000 in three decades is just as impressive. I often forget these things were designed to be driven all over God's country in all weather conditions on horrible dirt roads with questionable maintenance; they had to be pretty rugged.

When it's all said and done every nut, bolt, bracket, fastener, panel, piece, part and assembly will have been torn down and repaired as required or replaced if necessary. The only things I haven't personally handled are the steering box, fuel pump, re-lined brake shoes and reassembly of the engine. It should be like a brand-new 80-year-old car! That ought to be a weird feeling!
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote